Subject: modem, terminal and PPP
To: Mac68K Port-List <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Riccardo Mottola <rmottola@spm.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/02/1997 21:50:00
Hi...

1. I'd like to be able to make login via a modem. I was able to do it
via a serial port via 'getty", but following the instrucions on the
manual, I tried to to the same for the modem at 2400 opening the
correct port. What happens is that the computer newer answers the
phone when called (ata) ant that the modem continues to get "send" and
"received" from and to the copmputer, like beieng connected, but this
happens even without a phone line. Every9one can help i na simple and
plain manner?

2. I have an account on my local provider, to which I am able to
connect, under mac, via FreePPP or MacPPP and TCP/IP or MacTCP. I get
a dynamic IP. Am I able to cxonnect un der UNIX using the modem, so
that I can use telnet, telnet3270 and ftp? Thanks :-)

Dick

Oh, I'm quite a newbie (not totally, but in some technmical stuff) so
be plain! Thanks.