Subject: Re: Mac68k Dream Instalation
To: None <Nerobro@aol.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/02/1997 10:24:32
> Next..... With my Xproblems.  What server will I find x on and what version
> should I download, last time I came across it I think I downloaded the (don't
> hold me to this) netbsd version.  Then I was wondering how to get it onto my
> hda2 (my UNIX partition)  I do have a supermac video card for now I want to
> use the internal video (I can deal with mono... I use and like plusses)  I am
> guessing I could use the install program to transfer it.

You could also use the cpin command of the installer to copy the
tar file onto the netbsd drive and use tar to get at it. It tends to
be faster.

Oh, hda2 is a Linux-ism. In NetBSD, it'd be something like sd2a.

> Finally I want to get this thing on the net so I don't have to deal with all
> these install problems.  I want my FTP. (thinking Men-at-work...)  But when I
> try to run NetBSD it gives me a core dump.  There are not more details to
> that... It just dumps, and tells me that it does.  It may be the old kernel,
> I think.  I am using an ancient kernel generic-9, don't tease, I can't find
> the newer ones.

There MUST be more details than that. What was it doing just before the
core dump? How do you know it core dumps? "NetBSD" doesn't core dump. If
bad stuff happens, the kernel will panic. An individual program can core
dump, but that's the program dumping core.

We can't help you w/o details. What are the last few things on the
screen before everything dies?

> If any of you were wondering i have a IIsi with 17megs of ram and a 699meg,
> 80meg, and a 1.2gig finaly a zipdrive.  I am running on an 80meg partition
> untill I get all the bugs solved, then the 699meg will be used for the unix
> and swap partitions.

Everything should be fine with a IIsi. I have one with 17 MB RAM, and it's
quite happy (if slow).

Take care,

Bill