Subject: Re: skeletal login files - what to do?
To: brian wildasinn <bwildasi@csulb.edu>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/02/1997 09:52:31
Hi,

I apologize if I am being dense, but is your real question "how do I
configure the skeletal login files?" or is it "how do I successfully add a
user?"  It seems to me that your real question is the latter.

I have neevr made any changes the the skeletal login files in
/usr/share/skel.  In fact, I didn't even know they existed there until
your message.  So I don't think you need to make any changes to those
files unless you want to set up site specific configurations for all your
users.

If your question is how to I create a new user, for full information, try
man adduser  but here is a brief summary (must be done as root):

1. Use the command   vipw
2. Edit the passwd file to add a new user.  Here is an example from the
man page:

     ernie::25:30::0:0:Ernie Kovacs,508 Evans Hall,x7925,
             642-8202:/a/users/ernie:/bin/csh

3. Create the start-up directory for the user.  Make the new user the
owner of his/her home directory.

4. Use the command   passwd newusername  to set a password for your new
user.

5. Copy in any start-up files that you want to give your user.  Make sure
that you change the onwerships.

Personally, I have my own favorite base .cshrc and .exrc files for myself.
Whenever I get a new account on a system, I immediately copy in those
files for myself.

Mark

On Thu, 1 May 1997, brian wildasinn wrote:

> i read this in the faq pages...but have no clue how to configure the
> skeletal login files. Does anyone have some examples? The man pages
> totally kill me due to lack of examples. i'm still trying to get a Q700
> running netbsd1.2D to accept a new user, but the system needs some more
> love i see (my last mailer was "passwd - what to do?" fsck upon
> single-user boot fixed one error--thank bill--, but the rest remain).

Mark Andres             E-mail: mark@giganet.net
    Running NetBSD and 100% Microsoft Free!