Subject: Headless P460
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Johan Carlsson <johanc@fusion.kth.se>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/02/1997 01:22:37
I'm playing around with a Performa 460 with fried video circuitry.
The plan is to do the paper clip trick and boot NetBSD/mac68k (a recent
snapshot, kernel is GENERIC#25 I believe) headless with a serial console
(I might get to keep it since it's useless to non-geeks ;-).
I've used a IIcx (with working video) to simulate the scheme: alias of
Booter in startup items, Booter set to auto boot, etc. and it works just
fine (on the IIcx). I expected the P460 to behave equally well (I ran
NetBSD/mac68k 1.1 with ADBTEST#160 on it once without any problems
before the little video mishap, naah, it wasn't me ;-).

I just discovered, by testing on a non-videoally challenged P460, that
it's the Booter (1.9.6) that's spoiling my fun. I get a dialog box saying:
"NetBSD/mac68k has not yet been proven to work on your machine." The
options are: "Boot Anyway" and "Cancel Boot", the latter being the default
so I can't just plug in a keyboard and hit Return :-(

So my options are: click randomly hoping to hit the right button or get
the Booter source and translate it to Pascal (I only got Think Pascal on
the MacOS side) *or* again being salvaged by one of the Jedis on this list
(the last option being the most attractive one ;-).

TIA,

/Johan