Subject: Re: Two wierd thing . . .
To: None <ADAMGOOD@delphi.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/01/1997 10:33:10

> Hi all,
>
> OK, I've gotten the PMTEST.961214.122.iv.ncr.tar.gz kernel to boot (sometimes)
> on my PB160.  NO OTHER KERNEL WORKS AT ALL.
>
> This one kinda works.  Actually, I don't think the problems I'm having are
> related to the kernel.
>
> First, the whole thing booted multi-user several times, and now it won't.
> It hangs in the rc script where it should be setting the tty flags with
> ttyflags -a (or whatever the command is).  If I comment out this line, it
> continues with the boot process, reaching the multi-user prompt.  I don't
> think that this is a particularly robust solutioin however.  Can anyone
> please tell me how to fix this (and why it worked a few times before)?

Hmm. Make sure your file system's all ok (boot single user, don't
mount /, fsck -f /dev/sdXa). That command should be fine.

> The other problem is with ps.  It doesn't work - it gives some sort of error
> about mismatched proc size or something.  I installed NetBSD1.2.1 on a
> clean filesystem though, so I can't see how ps would be out of sync with
> the libkvm or whatever it says in the FAQ.  Again, if anyone can help with
> this I would be very appreciative.

It takes VERY LITTLE for the libkvm  and kernel to drift apart.  1.2.1
is based on 1.2, which came out many months ago (like 8?).
PMTEST.961214.122.iv.ncr.tar.gz is most likely based on -current from
around then. That's MORE than enough drift to mess things up.

If you were running a 1.2.1 kernel, the 1.2.1 ps would be fine.

Take care,

Bill