Subject: Re: Mac68k Dream Instalation
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rick Hawkins <rhawkins@iastate.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/30/1997 16:51:17
> From: wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu (Bill Studenmund)
> Subject: Re: Mac68k Dream Instalation
> To: Nerobro@aol.com
> Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 14:14:53 -0700 (PDT)
> Cc: port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG
> Sender: port-mac68k-owner@NetBSD.ORG
>
> > My dream is to have a Package list for each Mac to get them to boot,
do
> > serial, do ethernet and do x.  For all those at college who want a
peice of
> > their network and can't shell out the $600 for MachTen. (like I)

> Package list? What do you have in mind? We already have monochrome
> kaged up, and a color X kit for systems which support color X
(non-internal
> video).

One thing that's been popping around my mind, but that I haven't
mentioned because I lack the knowledge & skills to do, would be to
create a program that would take care of translating some installation
from macos to bsd.  For example, reading the information from the tcp
control panel, and creating the appropriate configuration files on the
bsd side.  I utterly failed at geetting the network to work the first
time i installed several months ago; this time, the network howto made
it trivial.  And it seems to me that there was another area which
required the use of mac-side information, and some knowledge of unix,
but now i forget what it was :(

rick