Subject: Re: GENERIC-29 and the PB160
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Fyfe <bandr@best.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/30/1997 14:30:02
On Tue, 29 Apr 1997 ADAMGOOD@delphi.com wrote:

> I went and got the GENERIC-29 kernel, which I read on the list contains
> PB support, and I can tell you that it does not get past preserving the
> symbol table on a PB 160.

I have a PB 180, and have tried a number of kernels on top of the
NetBSD 1.2.1 distribution, namely
    netbsd-20		(ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/outgoing/briggs/)
    madhatter-40	(ftp://ftp.best.com/pub.s/sbrown/NetBSD/kernels/)
    HWDIRECT-168	(ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/outgoing/jpw/kernels/current/)
    GENERIC-29		(ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/kernels/)
    PMTEST.961214.120.ncr
    PMTEST.961214.122.iv.ncr
    PMTEST.961214.iv.ncr.mrg
	(http://www.lisanet.org/~hamada/Acti/Netbsd/netbsd.html)

I haven't had any trouble when using a serial console.  When booting
on the powerbook directly, all but the last two get no farther than
clearing the screen and printing a single line about symbols.  The
last two, however, both appear to work without any trouble at all.

With the possible exception of netbsd-20, all the kernels appear to
contain the relevant adb patches.  The two that work also include
video patches from Michael Zucca (this appears to be the only
difference between Takashi Hamada's PMTEST.961214.120.ncr which
does not work and PMTEST.961214.122.iv.ncr which does) -- there may
be something in those patches that's essential.  I haven't been
paying enough attention over the last few months to know what is
and isn't in the lastest kernel sources.

I have avoided the SBC-based kernels since attempts in the past have
resulted in the complete loss of my root partition.

--Andy Fyfe
bandr@best.com