Subject: Re: Organization of MacBSD
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/30/1997 10:23:04
Hi,

I am currently working on creating an index of machines and functioning
kernels as part of a project with another NetBSD user to add more
information.  Since volunteering for this a couple of months ago, I have
quit my job to start a new company and my wife has given birth to my
second daughter.  So in between diaper changes and setting up a NOC in my
house for my new company, I am working on the kernel/machine index.

Ideally, I am thinking of a homepage with a CGI program that lets you
enter a machne and it gives you a list of known working kernels or you
enter a kernel and it gives you a list of known working machines.  Also,
ideally, I would like to have a way for people to add kernels/working
machines via CGI.

So, here is my first of many calls for working machines and kernels.  I
have already compiled a good deal of information, but please flood my
INBOX with your e-mail telling me what machine you are using and what
kernel you are using.  Thanks in advance for your input.

Mark

On Tue, 29 Apr 1997, Nico van Eikema Hommes wrote:

> A couple of suggestions for improvement:
> 1. Add a "which kernel is necessary" column to the "which machines are being
>    supported" page.  Best would be to have those kernels in one place, e.g.
>    a subdirectory within the snapshot tree.
> 2. More informative kernel names would be good. Should one take GENERIC#28
>    (or is it #29?), madhatter#40, ADBTEST#160, dormouse#2, or perhaps use
>    PMTEST.961214.122.iv.ncr.tar.gz, to mention just a few?
> 3. A related point: to SBC or not to SBC? My system seems to be happy with
>    both SCSI drivers, others are not.
> 4. Experiences with the -current snapshots should be put on a web page,
>    even if they "were mentioned on the list some time ago". Could be done
>    through the FAQ-o-matic engine being used for MkLinux, or be maintained
>    by someone.
> 5. And those experiences should be gathered, both good and bad. For a novice,
>    a "works fine on my ...." can be quite helpful :-)

Mark Andres             E-mail: mark@giganet.net
    Running NetBSD and 100% Microsoft Free!