Subject: Organization of MacBSD
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <ADAMGOOD@delphi.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/29/1997 14:37:51
Hi Everyone.

I've been hanging around this list for the past two years or so, hoping
that one day my PowerBook 160 would finally run BSD.  Now it looks like
it almost might and I'm running into another problem.  The organization
of all the kernels and support files is non-existant!

I was just looking at Puma to get the newest binaries because mine are
from the 1.1 release, and there was nothing in the current directory
of NetBSD!  There was a bunch of stuff in the OpenBSD directories, but
I have no idea what that is, or if it'll work with a NetBSD kernel.
The Web pages say nothing about this organization of the FTP site, and
there are always postings to the list regarding GENERIC kernels that I
can't find anywhere.  For example, I just saw post saying that GENERIC#29
contains PowerBook support, but where is GENERIC#29?

What's the difference between OpenBSD and NetBSD?  Where is current?  Can't
all of this information be centralized on the Web pages and in a README
on the FTP site?

It seems like things are at the point where almost every 68k Mac could be
a NetBSD box.  It's a shame if a lack of simple directions and information
confuse people and make it difficult for them to access all the hard work
that has been done.

Thanks for any attention to this,

-Adam