Subject: Re: booter prob?
To: Peter Hessler <geekboy@mistic.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/27/1997 12:43:45

> i can install netbsd on my Performa 550 and run the booter but it doesn't
> find shell when i tell it to use sh as the basic shell or any other
> shell.....i type in /bin/sh or just press return but it ignores me and
> gives an error message...the error message is
>
> /dev/rsd0a:  CANNOT READ: BLK 94800
> /dev/rsd0a:  EXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck_ffs MANUALY.
> Automatic File System check failed! help.
>
> then it gives me garbage about the shell to run...does anyone know how to
> fix it?

I'm confused. Are you booting in single-user mode?

The error message is complaining about a problem with the automatic
file system check, but this check (AFAIK) occurs AFTER the point where
you'd get the "which shell" prompt. This check is part of the
multi-user boot process which happens AFTER the single-user shell is
run (and finishes).

A bit more about your setup, and a copy of the boot messages (not the
booter output; the stuff from after the screen blank) would help too.

Take care,

Bill