Subject: *My* Solution to Addressing Resolution!
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jeffrey E. Benedict <raoul@olympus.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/24/1997 20:12:57
Hello, list!

Thanks to Allen, Bill, Colin and others for your suggestions to my address
resolution problem.  I believe that the solution I found suggests a problem
elsewhere at my site.

My /etc/resolv.conf originally looked like this:

search     chimacum.wednet.edu

nameserver      <address of nameserver at chimacum.wednet.edu>
nameserver      <secondary DNS address @ orca.esd114.wednet.edu>
nameserver      <secondary DNS address>

(orca is the next DNS upstream at our provider)

and I couldn't resolve addresses.

I changed 'search' to 'domain' and still couldn't resolve addresses.

Here's how I got it to resolve addresses:

My /etc/resolv.conf now looks like this:

domain      orca.esd114.wednet.edu

#nameserver      <address of nameserver at chimacum.wednet.edu>
nameserver      <secondary DNS address @ orca.esd114.wednet.edu>
nameserver      <secondary DNS address>

Now it resolves addresses.  I have a feeling that the DNS at our site is
configured incorrectly.  I haven't tried resolving addresses via MacOS to
see if our local DNS will resolve addresses, but I don't know why it would.
 Unfortunately, my sysadmin is a twit and will get defensive if I suggest
something is wrong......

Thanks to all on the list for the help on this matter.  Next- adding a disk
and getting the web server up!

Jeff

 Jeff Benedict - raoul@olympus.net --- "Me? Whee!" - Muhammad Ali