Subject: Re: your mail
To: Michel Chalufour <michelc@tiac.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/24/1997 15:03:07

> Sorry my description was so vague, I just was hoping someone might know the
> 3Com card   and could say whether there's a chance it can work with NetBSD.
> In Mac OS the 2 computers can share files and launch applications, so the
> ethernet hardware and connections (thin wire 10Base-2) for the two-computer
> network appear to be working in that environment. When both computers are
> booted in NetBSD I can communicate between the two via serial wire and
> pppd, with ping, ftp, telnet working nornally (albeit slowly), but when I
> try  the same over the ethernet wire there seems to be no communication and
> I get the following message from ping:
>
> centris# ping macii
> PING macii.mynet (10.0.0.1): 56 data bytes
> Apr 24 11:58:05 centris /netbsd: ae0: device timeout
> Apr 24 11:58:05 centris /netbsd: ae0: device timeout
> ping: sendto failed: Host is down
> ping: sendto failed: Host is down
> ^C
> ----macii.mynet PING Statistics----
> 14 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss
>
> Is there a faq or other information that someone could point me to that
> would help in the configuration of the kernel, /etc/rc.conf and/or other
> /etc files that ethernet requires?

[snip]

> If the 3Com card does work in the IIci as the Ethernet Status List
> indicates, is there any reason it won't work in my Mac-II and my Centris
> 650.

Hmm. What do the boot messages for each machine show is going on?
You can find them in /kern/msgbuf (if you have /kern mounted).

What does netstat -r say?

My first concern is that you might have the routing messed up (if you
ran ppp and tried to run ethernet in the same boot).

Forgive me if you've set everything up right already.

I've done this before, and here's what I did:

The big thing is that you must give each *interface* its own IP
address. I have pokey, the IIsi, and banana, the SE/30.

/etc/hosts (on each)

10.0.0.1	pokey
10.0.0.2	pokey-ppp
10.0.0.3	banana-ppp
10.0.0.4	banana

Pokey:
ifconfig ae0 inet 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.0.0

Banana:
ifconfig ae0 inet 10.0.0.4 netmask 255.255.0.0
route add default 10.0.0.1

and the ppp connection's set up so that banana gets 10.0.0.3 and pokey gets
10.0.0.2.

What was your setup?

Take care,

Bill