Subject: Re: Using DEC VT100 terminal as serial console for MacIIx?
To: William R. Dickson <wrd@awenet.com>
From: Paul Ripke <weripp@itwol.bhp.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/24/1997 10:54:55
William R. Dickson wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> My office has some DEC VT100's lying around and said if I can use one, I
> can have it -- has anybody tried hooking one up to a Mac as a serial
> console for NetBSD?  Were you able to buy a cable somewhere, or did you
> have to make one?  Any info appreciated...

Yep. I have a DataGeneral VT220 that I use on the printer port running
at 19200 bps. Works fine. The cable I use was sold to me as a modem
cable, but it isn't. An RS-232 modem cable does work with a null modem
however. Hardware handshaking may not work with this arrangement tho.

Back in the old days when IIsi ADB didn't work I was using the VT2220
as my console permanently. Mine you, I'm very glad I can now run x!

Cheers,
--
Paul Ripke
BHP Information Technology