Subject: Re: Install help
To: Jeremy Bushman <jbushman@mwci.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/23/1997 22:10:45

> I just tried to install NetBSD 1.2.1 onto a 200 MB SyQuest cart on my LC
> 475. Installation went well, but when it came time to boot to BSD, my
> system hung. Not knowing if it was an extension/driver conflict, I
> rebooted w/o any extensions, and tried booting BSD again. This time it
> got further, but still hung.  I have the boot log (only one line in it),
> which to me is not all that much help. Is it because of the SyQuest
> install? I looked for the mentioned FAQ, but was unable to find it. Is it
> a problem w/my computer? I have seen people on the list using 610's and
> other 040 macs. Any ideas? TIA.
>
> System info:
> 68040 (I upgraded from the LC040)
> 36 MB RAM

Others can correct me if that computer should work. The full 040 upgrade
will certainly help.

Did it get as far as clearing the screen to all white? If so, the booter's
boot log is probably not needed, but any messages printed on the screen
after the screen clear ARE needed. What booter are you using?

> I am going to try to install again on a 500 MB HD to see if that helps
> anything.

Show us what it prints on the screen first. Since we can read the kernel
from MacOS (if desired), you can actually get very far into the boot
before the harddisk is touched.

Take care,

Bill