Subject: Re: Problems with Address Resolving
To: Albert Carter <SilverMoonTiger@wizzard.tiac.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/23/1997 19:03:55

> >> search chimacum.wednet.edu
> >
> >I think that's the problem. chimacum.wednet.edu is a host. This line
> >should have a domain name in it. Maybe just wednet.edu would work?
> >
> >> nameserver   <numerical address>
> >> nameserver   <numerical address>
> >> nameserver   <numerical address>
> >>

> I think the problem might be is that you're telling it to search one server
> and giving 3 addresses.  My /etc/resolv.conf looks something like this:
>
> search zork.tiac.net mvy.tiac.net sundog.tiac.net
>
> nameserver 199.0.65.2
> nameserver 199.0.65.8
> nameserver 199.0.65.9
>
> This works fine for me.  Although I have to add the domain name to get to a
> machine within the domain name where my shell accounts on machines in this
> domain (as well as my macOS) I only need to type in the host name.  Anyone
> know how to take care of this?

>From reading the resolv.conf man page, the only place in the resolv.conf
file you're supposed to have machine names is in the nameserver lines (and
obviously they have to be IP addresses there).

"search" is supposed to list domain names to search. The "nameserver"
lines took care of the machines to contact.

Colin had an example of a good use of "search". I've forgotten it, but
something like this'd show it off:

search cs.stanford.edu physics.stanford.edu resed.stanford.edu stanford.edu

In this case, given a host name "lulu" (if I understand this right), we'd
look for lulu.cs.stanford.edu, lulu.physics.stanford.edu,
lulu.resed.stanford.edu, then lulu.stanford.edu.

I've set up about 40 workstations and lots more PC's. We've always just
used a "dimain stanford.edu" line and the nameservers.

To the original requestor: drop the search line and just add a
"domain wednet.edu" line.

Take care,

Bill