Subject: dt-1.1.5 Problems and other stuff too.
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Albert Carter <SilverMoonTiger@wizzard.tiac.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/23/1997 22:16:30
Now that I've got it so my machine can be telnet'd to I decided to get it
up and running and leave it online so I could work on it from work today.
I (being the curious type) decided to run dt.  This was a big big big big
big (I think you get my drift) mistake.  Here's what happened and some
explanation as to why I think it happened.  I have only a 14.4 bps modem so
the connection is slow.  For somereason it either lagged out so bad loading
dt or dt just doesn't work from telneting that I lost my telnet session.
When I tenet'd back in though I noticed that dt was still running... so I
think I made another big big (ok I'm not going to do this again) mistake
(hey that's part of learning making mistakes) I killed dt not realizing
that killing dt would leave its children processes running.  When I did
this it behaved like any good process and died, but when I did a w it still
showed up 2 of the dt terminals as being dt-1.0.3:2 and dt-1.0.3:3, but
neither of these showed up as processes.  This continued to be the case
until I got home and was able to reboot the machine.  I have several
questions that have spawned because of this.

1) Is it possible to telnet in and use dt on a faster connection or does dt
not like telnet?

2) When I was doing this it was suggested to logout and log back in as root
only to kill off all of my processes being run under my username to take
care of this.  However whenever I tried to telnet in as root it said
something to the lines that it was prohibited on the terminal I was on.  Is
there anyway to fix this and why does it do this?

3) When I rebooted my mac in NetBSD I did so in single-user mode and ran
fsck and everything checked out ok.  Is there anything that I did through
this fun experimenting that could have damaged anything?

I believe that's it but I'm sure I'll come up with more.  Oh by the way
when I got home and logged in only with root there were no processes
running under the username so I needed to reboot in order to kill the
process because as far as I know there's no way of killing processes that
don't show up under a ful list of ps -aux and I even tried to kill -9 dt
and it said no job existing like that.

Thanks,
Albert