Subject: Re: Problems with Address Resolving
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Albert Carter <SilverMoonTiger@wizzard.tiac.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/23/1997 21:58:16
Darn forgot to cc the list:(

>> Hello-
>>
>> I've tried and tried- now I gotta ask...
>>
>> I can't get my MacBSD box to resolve addresses.  I can resolve addresses
>> under the MacOS without problem.  I can communicate in and out of the
>> MacBSD OS fine- I can telnet in and I can FTP out using numerical
>> addressing. (I haven't ried telnetting out but I have no reason to believe
>> that it wouldn't work.)
>>
>> I've configured /etc/resolv.conf with the same numerical addresses I use
>> with MacTCP.  The box isn't right in front of me so I will have to put in
>> some dummy numbers, but this is what /etc/resolv.conf looks like:
>>
>> search chimacum.wednet.edu
>
>I think that's the problem. chimacum.wednet.edu is a host. This line
>should have a domain name in it. Maybe just wednet.edu would work?
>
>> nameserver   <numerical address>
>> nameserver   <numerical address>
>> nameserver   <numerical address>
>>

>> In reading my Unix Admin. book (the one suggested in the FAQ- the one with
>> funny little comments sprinkled in the text), it suggested that resolving
>> needs to be turned "on" some way.  There was no specific example for
>> "vanilla" BSD and mentioned tools such as nslookup and dig which I don't
>> have on my system, so I have to fall back on the list.
>
>I think just having resolv.conf "turns it on."
>
>Take care,
>
>Bill

I think the problem might be is that you're telling it to search one server
and giving 3 addresses.  My /etc/resolv.conf looks something like this:

search zork.tiac.net mvy.tiac.net sundog.tiac.net

nameserver 199.0.65.2
nameserver 199.0.65.8
nameserver 199.0.65.9

This works fine for me.  Although I have to add the domain name to get to a
machine within the domain name where my shell accounts on machines in this
domain (as well as my macOS) I only need to type in the host name.  Anyone
know how to take care of this?