Subject: Problems with Address Resolving
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jeffrey E. Benedict <raoul@olympus.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/23/1997 06:02:13
Hello-

I've tried and tried- now I gotta ask...

I can't get my MacBSD box to resolve addresses.  I can resolve addresses
under the MacOS without problem.  I can communicate in and out of the
MacBSD OS fine- I can telnet in and I can FTP out using numerical
addressing. (I haven't ried telnetting out but I have no reason to believe
that it wouldn't work.)

I've configured /etc/resolv.conf with the same numerical addresses I use
with MacTCP.  The box isn't right in front of me so I will have to put in
some dummy numbers, but this is what /etc/resolv.conf looks like:

search chimacum.wednet.edu

nameserver   <numerical address>
nameserver   <numerical address>
nameserver   <numerical address>

In reading my Unix Admin. book (the one suggested in the FAQ- the one with
funny little comments sprinkled in the text), it suggested that resolving
needs to be turned "on" some way.  There was no specific example for
"vanilla" BSD and mentioned tools such as nslookup and dig which I don't
have on my system, so I have to fall back on the list.

I guess I've just on a different level from some of you people.  I promise
I will make a contribution to the list- just as soon as I have something I
can contribute! I'll get this thing licked- as soon as this problem is
solved, I have to add a disk for more space, set up a web server and on and
on...

take care-

Jeff

 Jeff Benedict - raoul@olympus.net --- "Me? Whee!" - Muhammad Ali