Subject: Re: IIsi memoy (was Re: kernels?)
To: Albert Carter <SilverMoonTiger@wizzard.tiac.net>
From: Paul Ripke <weripp@itwol.bhp.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/23/1997 12:41:22
Albert Carter wrote:
<snip>
> would like to use the "best" kernal possible.  As far as my system.  I have
> a IIsi with 17 MB of RAM (maxed out:() I'm using an external 2GB Seagate

Hmm? I thought they would take 4x16Mb SIMMs. I'll have to check my
doco. My IIsi has 17 Mb - not that I'll upgrade it. PowerMac is my
next step.

> drive (that I've put into a case it was orignally an internal drive but my
> power supply just wouldn't support it) It currently shows for some reason
> I'm not sure why that the manufacture is DEC and the product is RZ1BA-BS
> (C) DEC (please don't ask why I haven't a clue but it works so what the
> heck) I also have a NUBUS adapter card that contains the FPU 68882 on it.
<snip>

Yep. Drives bought from Digital have Digital firmware in them, although
the machanisms are made by Seagate, Quantum, etc... Strange product
number though, currently Digital 2Gb drives are either RZ28M-VAs,
RZ28D-VAs, RZ28M-VWs or RZ28D-VWs, depending whether they are wide
SCSI, and which spin rate (5400 or 7200 RPM).

The Digital firmware seems to provide a bit more intelligence than
a plain SCSI drive, but only OpenVMS and RAID/StorageWorks controllers
seem to make use of it.

Cheers,
--
Paul Ripke