Subject: Re: IIvx incompatible with new version of booter...
To: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/22/1997 19:37:06
> as Mr. Zucca pointed out to me the first time i attempted to run NetBSD,
> nothing except booter 1.9 (nothing later) seemed to work with my machine.
> as i can foresee new features enabled in the booter (see below), what is
> this problem, and is there any fix planned?  this problem also seems to
> confuse many new IIvx-NetBSD users...

I'm not sure who the current Booter maintainer is...perhaps Brian is still
doing it, although I'm not sure.  Is there anyone with enough skill
out there to figure out why versions of the Booter past 1.9 don't
workon the IIvx?  I'll probably make a note of this in the FAQ, there is
already one in the Info Sheet.

> my IIvx seems to freeze any time i attempt to boot it up in 16-bit color. I
> do this accidently at times, and it is annoying to keep restarting the
> machine. is this the booter's problem or the kernel's? if it is the
> kernel's, what kernel/kernel patch would fix this?
> thanks a lot,

I think that this is a kernel problem, although I can't guarantee that
there is a patch to fix this.  For some reason, having video set to depths
above 8 bits seems to screw with the memory mapping and hang the boot.  If
this is a real problem for you, try using something like DepthMaster which
will automatically change resolutions for you from app to app.

Later.