Subject: Re: kernels?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Albert Carter <SilverMoonTiger@wizzard.tiac.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/22/1997 20:45:10
>okay, i've been following along with that line "if it ain't broke don't fix
>it" by not using the kernels half this mailing list traffic seems to
>discuss; I still use the NetBSD/mac68k 1.2 GENERIC #1 kernel on my IIvx. my
>question is, what do these new kernels, such as "madhatter" and "sbc" offer
>(and any other ones that are mentioned)? and where would i go to download
>source code for these kernels? (and about how big are they?)
>is there anyway to change the video settings in NetBSD? (i.e. without
>having to set them before the booter is run by changing stuff in the
>monitors control panel).
>I would really like to get started in compiling my own kernels for my
>whatever needs...
>thanks =)
>  - a
Along these lines is there any better kernal that seems to work with
different systems then with others?  The reason I'm asking is because I
would like to use the "best" kernal possible.  As far as my system.  I have
a IIsi with 17 MB of RAM (maxed out:() I'm using an external 2GB Seagate
drive (that I've put into a case it was orignally an internal drive but my
power supply just wouldn't support it) It currently shows for some reason
I'm not sure why that the manufacture is DEC and the product is RZ1BA-BS
(C) DEC (please don't ask why I haven't a clue but it works so what the
heck) I also have a NUBUS adapter card that contains the FPU 68882 on it.
The drive is configured such that /dev/sd1a /root (200MB) and /dev/sd1b is
swap (50MB) and /dev/sd1g /home (300MB) and then sd1d is an HFS disk, sd1e
is a Apple Driver, sd1f is another HFS partition, sd1h is yet another HFS
partion.  It has the 13" RGB Apple Monitor it came with and modem, printer.
I'm looking to pick up some sort of backup device (probably a tape) but
right now I'm in the process of moving so don't have much time or money to
invest into getting one and setting it up.  If anyone knows of a kernal
that would be good to work with this set up let me know...  Oh also I do
plan on in the future setting it up to work as a web server (probably using
Apache server software) and dedicating the full drive to NetBSD.

Thanks,
Albert