Subject: Re: Changing SCSI ID #'s...
To: None <corbett@mtn.org>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/22/1997 19:23:39
>Hi.
>
>Ben Belchak wrote:
>>
>> How do I change the SCSI ID #'s?  Can this be done from MacOS, or do I need
>> to get a new program?  My SCSIProbe program says this:
>>
>> ID  Type  Vendor  Product      Version
>> --  ----  ------  -------      -------
>>  7  CPU   APPLE   PERFORMA 638  7.5.5
>>
>> How do I make the HD go to SCSI ID # 0-6 ?
>>
>> Ben
>
>Well, The CPU (What you show here) is ALLWAYS id 7.
>Your internal HD is probably allready id 0, and your CD-ROM (if you have
>one that Apple gave you) should be ID 3. Any external device should have
>a rotary switch or other device to change the ID somewhere on the back.
>
>Peter Corbett
>corbett@mtn.org

...your internal drive has *IDE* bus 0, not SCSI. that series of performas
came with IDE internal drives, not SCSI. i.e., you have to buy an external
SCSI drive to run NetBSD as port-mac68k does not support IDE yet.
and there are devices that do not have the rotary switches. for those
devices, you need to consult the drive's manual,  or company support line
(or even website) for the proper pin settings for those SCSI drives.
for quantum drives, which seem to be of the majority (since most or all
apple drives seem to be quantum), there are jumper pins P0, P1 and P2 on
the circuit board of the hard drive. mix and match no more than 2 jumpers
on those pins to get a working SCSI ID (and make sure the SCSI ID# does not
conflict with other devices on your chain such as the CD-ROM drives).
three jumpers (SCSI ID=7) won't work, because that is the permanant address
of your SCSI bus controller. No pins on the jumpers implies SCSI ID=0.
good luck,
  - a