Subject: Re: current, 1.2.1, and x ioctls
To: Rick Hawkins <rhawkins@iastate.edu>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/22/1997 16:38:06
> In my ongoing quest to produce my own kernel, having valiantly slain the zip driver
> monster, I have been once more beaten back by the heathen minions of microsoft.

Congrats on the Zip, but could you perhaps wrap you lines at about 72
columns?  Actually, anything under 80 is doable, but 80+ is a bit bad.

> I have updated supposedly everything to the april snapshot, and all works set up that
> way.  However, compiling a kernel gives me a kernel which won't X.  It gets as far as
> displaying the backround, with a working cursor, and spills the control list messages
> across the screen, then exits with the below messages.

What kind of machine are you running?  What Xserver are you using?

> While i'm at it, when i built this morning, it had trouble during make with the SUNOS
> stuff, which it claimed didn't exist.  I went back to disable these, and all built.
> But are they important?

SunOS compatibility is completely optional, I believe...so you can comment
out that option in the config file.

> Screen 0 at 0x41ad000, 640 by 480, rowB 80, fbbase 0xbf5000.
> pv2102.vincent being added to access control list
> pv2079.vincent being added to access control list
> pv2086.vincent being added to access control list
> pv2087.vincent being added to access control list
> pv21f2.vincent being added to access control list
> cgrad4.econ being added to access control list
> pv217a.vincent being added to access control list
> xterm: Error 23, errno 25: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> xterm: Error 23, errno 25: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> xterm: Error 23, errno 25: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> login: Error 23, errno 25: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Are you trying to run color X on a monochrome kernel?  That almost sounds
like what it's trying to say...but I haven't checked the man pages to
determine what the error numbers signify.

Later.