Subject: ADBTEST/HWDIRECT pages updated
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@netscape.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/21/1997 13:22:53
For those who are interested:

I've updated the HWDIRECT (formerly ADBTEST) web pages at:
http://www.macbsd.com/~jpw/adb.html

The page describes the newest changes to the HWDIRECT
code, which is now in the -current tree.

This code includes early support for Cuda based machines,
BUT IT IS NOT COMPLETE YET. It crashes on many machines.
If you feel brave, try out the most recent kernel and
let me know what happens. (NOTE: It crashes ONLY on the
Cuda based machines, it works fine on machine that do
NOT have the Cuda chip.)

Note that not all machines that have a Cuda chip can
even boot into NetBSD. For example, a Quadra 605 has
a Cuda chip but it never gets past the [preserving...]
line if you boot using the normal console. This kernel
won't solve the booting problem. But, if you've got
a Cuda based machine that you can currently boot into
at least single user mode, you may want to test this
kernel.

I also need some verification that this kernel works
on non-Cuda models. All the models and their ADB hardware
types are listed on the page, as well as what's been
tested to work, so if you test the new HWDIRECT kernel,
please let me know!

Thanks!

	--John