Subject: Re: Madhatter & Q900
To: Tommy Tarka <tommy@clockwork.dementia.org>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/21/1997 11:04:30
> On Fri, 18 Apr 1997, Rolf Braun wrote:
>
> > >Well, I just tried Madhatter #39 on my Quadra 900 and it got farther than
> > >it has in the past.
> > >
> > >What I'm using:  4/08/97 -current base and etc
> > >		 Madhatter#39, downloaded today
> > >
> > >What Happens:
> > >
> > >	gets as far as:
> > >		boot device: sd0
> > >		root on sd0a swap on sd0b
> > >
> > >then it hangs.  I haven't tried a serial console yet....although that's a
> > >project for next week.
> > >
> > >	Tom
> >
> > Ummm, doesn't the Q900 have the IOPs (input output processors, like the
> > IIfx and Q950) which Apple so nicely failed to document?
> >
> why yes it does.  However, I had heard that the q900 worked with serial
> console, at the very least, and I just tried that about 10 minutes ago, to
> no avail....

Unfortunately, there is no support for the IOP's on any Mac model.  Since
the serial ports are controlled by the IOP's, there is no way to run a
serial console on the machines with IOP's.  Of course you could always
work on support yourself.  The IOP's are supposed to be Motorola 6502
microprocessors if I remember correctly (the same CPU as in the Apple II
series machines).

Later.