Subject: Re: IIci '040@80Mhz - Will loan for devlpmt
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Ripke <weripp@itwol.bhp.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/21/1997 17:37:19
The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Apr 1997, Glen Stewart wrote:
>
> > I picked up a Carrera 68040 accelerator for my IIci.  It runs at
> > 80Mhz and was purchased at www.micromac.com.  It could be a real
>
> <snip>
>
> > The accelerator fits in the slot that the IIci cache card
> > normally goes in.  The Mac control panel has options for '040

<snip, snip>

> What version of {Net, Open}BSD are you running, out of curiosity?  To use
> an 040, you will probably need newer than 1.2 (i.e. a -current GENERIC
> kernel and preferrably the accompanying base121 package (I doubt the
> others changed enough to worry about, expect maybe comp121?).  Beyond
> that, I'll leave the answer to this question up to folks w/ more kernel
> hacking experience.  :-)

I think this may relate to my IIsi and its DayStar 040. I have a running
system without the DayStar, but with it it hangs after enabling the MMU.
Scott Reynolds made some changes for Generic 18 (I think) to get the
physical address ranges. The changes made seem to work OK, at least the
found ranges make sense, and are similar to those found with the 030
running, but I still get a hang when the MMU is enabled. I soon as I get
an ISP I can SUP through, I'll probably have another go at the problem.

> > I'd love to pay whoever gets this working, but have limited
> > resources after this acclerator card purchase.  It was a gamble
>
> I doubt most of the ppl here would accept payment for NetBSD hacking even
> if you could.  Hence the phrase volunteer effort.  :-)

Yes, I think we all find time is a very limited resource...
--
Paul Ripke
BHP Information Technology