Subject: Problem with ptys
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason S. <root@myname.my.domain>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/20/1997 15:09:10
I used MAKEDEV to create some more ptys, and now neither dt nor X will
work!  dt clears the screen and exits without any error message; X starts,
puts up the clock, then exits complaining that it can't get any ptys
(actually, xterm etc. are complaining).

I have plenty of ptys in /dev

I tried opening ttyp0 through ttyp9 and they all returned file descriptors.

I tried rebooting

I tried ./MAKEDEV all from /dev

The ttyp[0-f] entries look like:

crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, [0-15] Apr 20 [time] /dev/ttyp[0-f]

/etc/ttys has "none" and "network" for each entry

What's wrong here?  I am loath to start randomly reinstalling stuff
in order to solve this (I'd rather find out exactly what's wrong) -
I was even reluctant to reboot <g>

J.