Subject: Re: GENERIC-27 and the Q630
To: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/20/1997 16:16:21
> > Hunch: Maybe changes to support B&W X and dt on DAFB messed up something
> > needed on the 630's Valkyrie video? (btw, if the ite0 minimal console is
> > b&w video, why does X and dt's grf device need to be a separate driver?)

This may be possible. If the code that checks if the DAFB is called using
a "model group" instead of specific machines then it might be possible
that the DAFB code is getting called.

> Possibly.  As for the two different drivers, the ite only really supports
> writing characters to the screen, I believe, whereas the grf device
> supports all of the fun stuff like putting pixels in explicitly requested
> places.

Ite actually writes pixels into video memory. The grf driver (right now)
does nothing more than a little initialization and mapping the frame
buffer in and out of user-land so apps like X and dt can use it.