Subject: Re: GENERIC-27 and the Q630
To: Rolf Braun <rbraun@geocities.com>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/19/1997 14:26:21
[snip - sorry, I don't know enough about autoconfiguration to figure this
one out ]

> Hope this helps.
>
> Also: Allen Briggs' netbsd-20 test kernel (reports itself as GENERIC-20,
> also has DAFB and SONIC patches) doesn't work either. Same crash exactly.
>
> Note: GENERIC-26 *does* work on the 630. GENERIC-28 also fails to work, but
> this is because of the hardware Cuda driver's immaturity?

Probably so.  If you can find a kernel that still uses MRG_ADB, you should
be in much better shape, I'd assume.

> Hunch: Maybe changes to support B&W X and dt on DAFB messed up something
> needed on the 630's Valkyrie video? (btw, if the ite0 minimal console is
> b&w video, why does X and dt's grf device need to be a separate driver?)

Possibly.  As for the two different drivers, the ite only really supports
writing characters to the screen, I believe, whereas the grf device
supports all of the fun stuff like putting pixels in explicitly requested
places.

Later.