Subject: Re: Configuring Dail-up Access
To: Jerry Thomas <bob@hotcity.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/19/1997 11:32:59

> Hello,
>   I'm trying to configure my netbsd to accept dail-up connection.
>   i have gone into /etc/ttys and turned on tty00 for dailup and
>   when i try to dail-up, the modem doen't want to answer. Is there
>   any other configure i must do, to allow dail-up access?
>   I'm running NetBsd/mac68k on a MacIIcx /w 20 ram, and 28.8 modem
>   that i would like to use for a dail-up connection.

I think the problem is that you have to tell the modem to answer the
phone. It used to be they'd always answer. But with answering machines
and most users having home PC's, the current default of no auto answer
is better.

You'll need to spit out some AT mumbo jumbo to the modem. You'll need
to read your modem manual. The things to look for are: setting an S
register to answer after X (typically 4) rings, and saving the current
settings to the power-on default.

Take care,

Bill