Subject: Re: Popper and routed
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/18/1997 13:12:11
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions.

On Thu, 17 Apr 1997, David Brownlee wrote:
> 	Have you tried the mail directory group writable, group mail, and
> 	making the popper binary setgid mail?

I tried it but I get the same error.

> 	Alternatively you should be able to set the sticky bit on
> 	/var/mail, which is at least better than just 777 :)

I had already tried this and it works.  However, I don't understand why it
does not work "as it should."  On the BSDI boxes at my provider, popper is
set up in the inetd.conf to run as root.  The /var/mail directory is 775
with root as the owner and mail the group.  The popper binary is 755.  And
it works fine.  If popper is being runa s root, it should be able to
create a file and access files in a directory that root has write access
to.

Mark Andres             E-mail: mark@giganet.net
    Running NetBSD and 100% Microsoft Free!