Subject: Re: More about Mosaic
To: None <scotte@netbsd.warped.com>
From: Ken and Masami Nakata <masami@fa2.so-net.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/18/1997 08:36:43
On Thu, 17 Apr 1997 13:05:27 -0700,
Scott Ellis <scotte@netbsd.warped.com> wrote:

> X often appears to 'lock up' if it's busy rendering fonts.  Since the
> X server is usually single threaded, when it's busy with fonts, not
> much else can happen. ;-)

This is pretty much what's happening on Jason's P450, I gather...

> A good solution to this is to run xfs (X Font Server), and point the
> X server at xfs for teh fonts.  This allows xfs to handle the rendering
> of fonts, etc, and all the server does is request a specific font, and
> then wait for it to be delivered.  If you can run xfs on a different
> machine, this helps a LOT..but even on the same system, it can
> aid in the responsiveness quite a bit.

While I also anticipate this effectiveness of font server in this
case, I'm wondering whether or not our X package comes with xfs
binary...

BTW, Jason, where are your X fonts?  Is the path same as the one
I posted (/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts) ?

Ok, try "xset q", and it'll show you the exact font paths.  Copy&paste
or retype _the exact same path_ containing Type1 to give it to "xset
-fp" command.  I expect it to work, but if it doesn't, please let us
know.

Ken