Subject: Re: More about Mosaic
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Albert Carter <SilverMoonTiger@wizzard.tiac.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/17/1997 20:28:59
>The first time I tried the precompiled Mosaic, it took about a
>half-hour to start up, locking up X completely.
>
>I followed the advice that Ken gave to someone else (a couple of
>xset lines in .xinitrc) and X gave the message "no fonts removed from
>path" or something like that.
>
>So I started Mosaic.  It's been over 15 minutes, and X has been locked
>up as tight as a drum pretty much since.  (The Xclock is updating
>every five minutes or so.)  According to systat vmstat, the system is
>eating up about 95% of the CPU.  (However, I'm having no problems
>running a terminal emulator on my other Mac.  Oh how I love NetBSD!)
>
>My machine is a P450 (25 MHz '030 sans FPU).  The path to the Type 1
>fonts is the same as in Ken's suggested commands.
>
>Note well that I am not posting this as a complaint!  I'm just curious
>as to why (1) my machine takes soooooo loooong to start Mosaic and (2)
>why X locks up sooooo tightly when Mosaic starts up.  (Arena and Chimera
>start pretty fast and don't lock X when they are starting).
>
>I figure that the 25 MHz '030 sans FPU is completely unsuitable for
>Mosaic!
>
>J.

Yesterday I booted mosaic on my IIsi FPU installed and it took 10 minutes.
Then I tried running it with the -geometry tag.  It took 2 minutes flat.
It doesn't matter what size you set it to because for some reason it just
makes this tiny window no matter what size.  Does anyone know if this is a
bug in Mosaic?  Also I don't really care it cut down the boot time by 5 I'm
happy now.