Subject: More about Mosaic
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason S. <root@myname.my.domain>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/17/1997 08:59:28
The first time I tried the precompiled Mosaic, it took about a
half-hour to start up, locking up X completely.

I followed the advice that Ken gave to someone else (a couple of
xset lines in .xinitrc) and X gave the message "no fonts removed from
path" or something like that.

So I started Mosaic.  It's been over 15 minutes, and X has been locked
up as tight as a drum pretty much since.  (The Xclock is updating
every five minutes or so.)  According to systat vmstat, the system is
eating up about 95% of the CPU.  (However, I'm having no problems
running a terminal emulator on my other Mac.  Oh how I love NetBSD!)

My machine is a P450 (25 MHz '030 sans FPU).  The path to the Type 1
fonts is the same as in Ken's suggested commands.

Note well that I am not posting this as a complaint!  I'm just curious
as to why (1) my machine takes soooooo loooong to start Mosaic and (2)
why X locks up sooooo tightly when Mosaic starts up.  (Arena and Chimera
start pretty fast and don't lock X when they are starting).

I figure that the 25 MHz '030 sans FPU is completely unsuitable for
Mosaic!

J.