Subject: Re: kvm problems
To: Steven Campbell <campbel@istar.ca>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/17/1997 11:34:22
> Hi. I have done most of the standard troubleshooting to eliminate the kvm
> errors I'm getting.
> I'm getting a kvm_mkdb: /var/db/kvm.db.tmp Inappropriate file type or
> format error whenever I try to run kvm_mkdb.  The system also reports
> savecore: can't find device 4/1, and it always repeats that message in
> the bootlog. Incidentally, /var/log/messages, is filled with binary
> characters, such as ^@, and very few of the console messages actually
> make it into the file.

Is your currently running kernel named /netbsd?  The savecore message
above indicates that it might not be.  In addition, the kvm_mkdb problems
probably result from the same thing.

> Now, I'm wondering. Do I need to update my libkvm? Or is there something
> broken in the kernel?

Although you should always keep your binaries in sync with your kernel, I
think the problem this time is most likely a running kernel not named
/netbsd.

> My machine, an LC 475, Quantum ELS80 80 MB  root + swap, SCSI ID 0, and a
> Quantum LPS270S 260 MB usr at ID 2. The machine has 36 MB RAM, an FPU,
> and an Asante MacCon-LC ethernet card. This same error happens with John
> Wittkoski's HWDIRECT #164, and GENERICSBC #16, 25, 26, 27, and 28.

All of the above should be just fine, I believe.

I hope this helps some.

Later.