Subject: Re: Popper and routed
To: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/17/1997 09:28:11
On Thu, 17 Apr 1997, Mark Andres wrote:

> [ routed question skipped :) ]
>
> Now a quick question.  Does anyone have popper working properly?  If so, I
> would like to know what permission you use for the popper binary as well
> as the /var/mail directory.  Whenever I try to log in to via POP client, I
> get
>
>   popper[2718]: Unable to open temporary maildrop '/var/mail/.mark.pop':
>    Permission denied (13)
>   popper[2718]: mark@bullwinkle: -ERR System error, can't open temporary
>    file, do you own it?
>
> I have popper running as root in the inetd.conf
>
>   pop3   stream  tcp   nowait  root  /usr/libexec/popper  popper -sd
>
> and popper is owned by root.  Root has write access on the /var/mail
> directory.  However, the only way I can get popper to work is to set
> /var/mail to rwxrwxrwx.  I don't really want to have the /var/mail
> directory world write-able, as this machine may go on the Internet soon.

	Have you tried the mail directory group writable, group mail, and
	making the popper binary setgid mail?

	Alternatively you should be able to set the sticky bit on
	/var/mail, which is at least better than just 777 :)

                David/abs               abs@anim.dreamworks.com

    --- Oxycodone (Percocet) is definitely great stuff...  However on ---
    --- balance its not worth having wisdom teeth extracted to obtain ---