Subject: Re: Mosaic 2.7
To: Alain Chan-To-Hing <Alain.Chan-To-Hing@inforoute.cgs.fr>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/16/1997 14:21:58

> On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Mark Andres wrote:
>
> >I think you have figured out by now that it is probably just Mosiac taking
> >a long time to start up.  On my IIcx (030/16Mhz) it takes about 10
> >minutes.  On my C650 (040/25Mhz) it takes about 3 minutes.  During that
> >time, there are periods where the mouse is "frozen" (i.e., you can't use
> >it).  However, I have found that once Mosaic is up and running, it works
> >reasonably well.  I have found it to be faster than Chimera or Arena.  I
> >just leave it open all the time, even when I am not connected.
>
> On my Quadra 650 (040/33Mhz 28/56Mb RAM/Swap) it takes only one =
> minute to start Mosaic.
> (Mosaic 2.7b5 and Lesstif 0.77 that I compile myself).
>
> Perhaps, you should try this version.

One thing to remember is that the folks who were having problems were
spending most of the time processing PostScript (I think) fonts. If
you don't have those fonts, then Mosaic should certainly load faster.

If you do have the same font set, then this speed is impressive (relatively
speaking).

Take care,

Bill