Subject: communications slot
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kelly Campbell <camk@spub.ksu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/16/1997 04:34:31
For those interested, I've been trying to dig up some info on the
communications slot cards such as waht are in the 630 models. Apple is
very frustrating. Here's about all they have about it in the Q630 Dev
Note:

"The main logic board in the Macintosh LC 630 and Quadra 630 computers has
a communications slot that is compatible with the communications slot
first introduced in the Macintosh LC 575 computer. The slot allows the
computer to support a communications module without occupying the
expansion slot."

This is the only entry in the index for the communications slot, so I
checked out the LC575 Developer Notes:

"The Macintosh LC575 computer comes with an internal communications
interface installed in a socket on the main logic board. The
communications interface can be one of three options: a 14.4 megabaud
modem, an Ethernet interface with an AUI connector or an Ethernet
Interface with a 10baseT connector. "

That is the only blurb about it in the 575 notes... nothing in the memory
map section about it. The only other info I can find is on the block
diagram for the 575. It looks like it follows what Allen said earlier
about being like a Slot E card. It has the same connections as the
Expansion slot. (A31-2 on the CPU address bus, IOD31-0 connected through
the PrimeTime chip, and IOA1-0 also connected through the PrimeTime) The
only difference is a connection to the modem port which I assume is for
the modem cards.

I'm assuming that it must differentiate between the two cards by the IOA
line, but I don't really know enough about how the adressing and slots
works on macs in general. Perhaps someone could clarify this for me? I'll
be able to play a little once my LCII gets a kernel compiled. It's been
chewing away at its first one for a good 10 hours now :-)

Kelly
| Kelly A. Campbell              | Kansas State University     |
| camk@telecom.ksu.edu           | Telecommunications          |
| camk@ksu.ksu.edu               | Systems Programmer          |
| http://www.spub.ksu.edu/~camk/ | http://www.telecom.ksu.edu/ |