Subject: Re: Quadra 605
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
From: Steven Campbell <campbel@istar.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/15/1997 23:45:57

This is not true.  There's a jumper, on the Q605's logic board, that if
present, makes Gestalt report the machine is a Q605.  If it's missing,
the machine reports itself as an LC 475. These machine are _completely_
identical, and use the same ROM rev, and hardware.  The only difference
are the nameplates, the cases and the presence of this jumper at J118. I
have installed this jumper on my own LC 475, to test it, and it is true.
Under System 7.1, my LC 475 will report itself as a Q605.

This is from www.violet.berkeley.edu/q605.html:

The Quadra 605, LC475, P475, and P476 use the same motherboard. A jumper
in the front right hand corner, J118, differentiates the Quadra 605 and
LC475. The Performa 475 and 476 are the same as the LC475. If the jumper
is installed, it is a Quadra 605. If the jumper is not, it is a LC475.
The system and other software know this from what is called a gestalt.
The gestalt is a number that is specific to each type of Mac Apple makes.
A Quadra 605 is gestalt 94 while a LC475 is gestalt 89. There are several
unassigned gestalts, and this modification will explain a few of them:

Steve