Subject: Re: Appletalk over Printerport? CAP, netatalk?
To: Jason S. <root@myname.my.domain>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/15/1997 15:14:06

> > The actual drivers aren't hard. The hard part is making a clean design
> > which can share the tty with normal serial port uses (all the Linux
> > LocalTalk drivers I've seen are for cards which only support LocalTalk
> > so they don't have the sharing problem).
>
> Would it be less difficult to create a version which just blows off the
> "normal serial port uses"?  I, for one, would consider a LocalTalk Mac-to-
> NetBSD connection to be nothing short of miraculous, and would give up a
> certain amount of functionality to obtain it.

I don't think it would be easier to go the quick-and-dirty route. Mainly
as I want to eventually generate code which will be integrated into the
M.I. 8530 driver. I mean that I have to design something, and I'd like
to get the design closer to right now. If I just threw something
together, I could see possably needing to re-design part way through.

My current thought is to make a new character device. If you open it,
the serial port is put into hdlc mode (if it's not open for character
use).  You can then try to put it into LocalTalk mode (just as there
are tty, slip, ppp, and strip line disciplines on normal tty's, there'd
be line disciplines for generic, ppp, X25 (?), and LocalTalk for the
hdlc device). If you succede, you've got a LocalTalk interface.

Besides the clean(er) design, this route would hopefully be easier to
debug.

> Maybe I misunderstand what you mean? Do you mean "normal serial port uses"
> only on the port devoted to AppleTalk, or on both ports? (I would love to
> be able to dial into my NetBSD box and access the files on my PBase...)

I mean "normal serial port uses" on the LocalTalk'd port. Obviously if
you're using LocalTalk, you can't hook up a modem at the same moment,
but I think it'd be a gross hack if you had to decide if you were
LocalTalk'ing at kernel config time. Way gross. Plus we've got too many
different kernels floating around (ncrscsi vs. sbc, mad hatter, doormouse,
adbtest, etc). I don't want to add more.

I also want to (eventually) put in a lot of effort to keep all other
forms of I/O operational while LocalTalk's going. Keeping the other
serial port going (at 57600, not Apple's 9600) is a must in my mind.
I've also got rough ideas about keeping SCSI I/O going, but that's
for later. :-)

Also, depending on which Mac you have, you might be able to have two
LocalTalk ports going at once. You'd have to have serial ports with
DMA support, but it'd be feasable. :-)

> Might there be a vague time-frame for a minimally useful version (see
> above...)? (We won't hold you to it, Bill...)

If everyone can bear with me, I'd say in 3 to 6 months. The next 2 months
will be busy as I'm literally trying to finish the last batch of
experiments for my Ph.D. Then there's chewing on the data, deciding it's
enough, and then getting the defense together. I might do some work off
and on, as a distraction, but I can't promise anything.

Take care,

Bill