Subject: Re: Appletalk over Printerport? CAP, netatalk?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Richard Ervin <rervin@oasis.novia.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/15/1997 16:40:03

> On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>

> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > I wonder if it is possible to run CAP or netatalk over the printerport
> > > under NetBSD.
> >
> > No. Neither PPP nor LocalTalk are supported at this time. I'm working on
> > LocalTalk, but it'll take a while as I'm also trying to finish my PhD. :-)
> >
> > The actual drivers aren't hard. The hard part is making a clean design
> > which can share the tty with normal serial port uses (all the Linux
> > LocalTalk drivers I've seen are for cards which only support LocalTalk
> > so they don't have the sharing problem).
>
> Would it be less difficult to create a version which just blows off the
> "normal serial port uses"?  I, for one, would consider a LocalTalk Mac-to-
> NetBSD connection to be nothing short of miraculous, and would give up a
> certain amount of functionality to obtain it.

I for two.

> Maybe I misunderstand what you mean? Do you mean "normal serial port uses"
> only on the port devoted to AppleTalk, or on both ports? (I would love to
> be able to dial into my NetBSD box and access the files on my PBase...)

Ditto - I want to run httpd and pppd, so I would need one serial and one
AppleTalk port.  Outside of that, I could suffer a lot of inconvenience.
I might even be pursuaded to build a dedicated box to fill this role.

Anyone know the cost of an on demand PPP dialer/router? Either software
or hardware?