Subject: Re: System Freezes
To: None <SilverMoonTiger@wizzard.tiac.net>
From: Ken and Masami Nakata <masami@fa2.so-net.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/15/1997 10:00:19
On Mon, 14 Apr 1997 20:53:32 -0500,
Albert Carter <SilverMoonTiger@wizzard.tiac.net> wrote:
[...]
> it would be saved in X-mosaic-history.  After about 5 minutes and nothing
> else happening I tried to type in the xterm and it didn't respond then I
> went to move the mouse and that didn't work.  I tried everything and the
> only way to get out of this was to do a force restart ctrl-cmd-power key.
[...]

If I remember correctly, your IIsi doesn't have an FPU, does it?  Even
when the machine has an FPU, it takes several minutes to launch
Xmosaic on a 68030 machine (@16MHz, though).  It might be possible
that X server is taking so much time rendering the fonts Xmosaic
wants that it cannot handle other events such as mouse movements
and key events.

What if you hook up a serial terminal to the modem or printer port
(tty00 or tty01, respectively), run getty on it to log in on it,
and try to login on the serial port?  It probably is very heavy
if what I think is happening is indeed happening, but you should
be able to at least login and see what's going on.

Ken