Subject: Re: time is incorrect.
To: Albert Carter <SilverMoonTiger@wizzard.tiac.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/14/1997 18:56:07

> Since I had to reinstall unix I've been having problems with the time on my
> unix box.  I have set the time difference in the booter to being -420
> minutes.  And I deleted the original symbolic link of /etc/localtime which
> linked to /usr/share/zoneinfo/PST and set up a symbolic link for
> /etc/localtime to refer to /usr/share/zoneinfo/EST which is the time zone
> I'm in.  The time on the unix box is still showing up as being 2 hours
> ahead of the correct time.  This is the exact same way I set it up before
> and it worked fine.  I'm running NetBSD 1.2 with the original kernal from
> ftp://ftp.nebsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.2/mac68k/binary/netbsd12.  This
> shows up as being a Generic #1.  Everything is exactly the same and I don't
> understand why this isn't working.

I can't explain why it worked before. Definitely check out the Map
control pannel (as Colin suggested).

But your offset is wrong. -420 is -7 * 60. It's correct for life in PDT or
MST. My mac, here in CA, is at -420 right now. On the east coast, you
want -5 * 60 = -300 for EST, and -4 * 60 = -240 for EDT.

When I switch to or from DST, I don't touch the clock. Go to the Map CP
and change the timezone offset for your timezone. That keeps GMT working
(I use kerberos security stuff, which depends on GMT synchronization).

Take care,

Bill