Subject: Re: sbc fixed zip; broke ps (and kernel compiling)
To: Rick Hawkins <rhawkins@iastate.edu>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/14/1997 19:33:33
> I managed to install an SBC kernel (#28), and it solved the zip
> problems.  The illegal request erros, and crashes, are gone.  BUt i'ts
> made some other things touchy.
>
> ps and the liek don't work:
>
> hawkins# ps
> ps: proc size mismatch (5868 total, 648 chunks)
> hawkins#
>
> I've renamed the kernel netbsd, but htis persists.  The faq suggests
> updating a library, but that brings me to the chicken & egg problem:

Yeah, that's pretty much the solution (i.e. to update libkvm and related
binaries).  You can get a set of -current binaries from the base
distribution on ftp.netbsd.org

> I need the zip to compile.  The zip needs to holdd files, and for these
> to work i need updates that can't be done without the zip, . . .

You can keep the kernel.  You simply won't be able to do a 'ps'.  Compiles
should work just fine.

> I pruned the current kernel source on a bigger machine, and untarred
> without a problem.  But I am having problems with config.  I untarred at
> /usr/src

hmmmm...perhaps you should have untarred at / instead.  The path to the
various Mac files should be:

/usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k

If you do a 'pwd' in the mac68k directory and find something different,
I'd remove the tree and try again.

> Hesitant to touch the shipped files, I copied GENERIC to RAPTOR.  But
> there seem to be some relative file adresses:
>
> hawkins# config RAPTOR
> RAPTOR:5: cannot open arch/mac68k/conf/std.mac68k for reading: No such file or directory
>
> RAPTOR:7: syntax error
> RAPTOR:7: cannot proceed without machine specifier

sounds like you may have things out of place...

> I tried changing
>  this line to the full pathname, but then I get
>
> ../../../conf/files:7: syntax error
> *** Stop.
> hawkins#
>
> checking that file,
>
> #       $NetBSD: files,v 1.121 1997/04/02 21:34:11 christos Exp $
>
> #       @(#)files.newconf       7.5 (Berkeley) 5/10/93
>
> # options understood by the machine-independent part of the kernel
> # (note, these are case-sensitive)
> defopt  KMEMSTATS
>
> # generic attributes
> define  disk
> define  tape
> define  ifnet
> define  tty
> define  audio
> define  scsi { [channel = -1] }
>
> is line 7 the KMEMSTATS (7th literal), the ifnet(7th non-comment), or
> the scsi line (7th command)?

Some changes have been made wrt config lately, so the trouble is probably
the KMEMSTATS line...you can either grab a new copy of config.tar.gz from
the same place you got kernel source, or else upgrade all of your
binaries.

> And at this point, i realized i was out of my league :)
>
> The kernel howto also suggests recompiling config, as it varies from
> version to version, but i'm not quite sure which pieces/how to do this.

I'd recommend getting the latest binary snapshot off of ftp.netbsd.org.
If you install it, it should contain the latest config.  However, if you
only want to recompile config, get the config.tar.gz file from the
tarballs directory (where you got the sys.tar.gz tarball, I believe).
Then untar it so that it rests at:

/usr/src/usr.sbin/config/

Then cd to that directory and do a 'make && make install'

Hopefully, that'll be sufficient to get you compiling.

I hope this helps some.

Later.