Subject: sbc fixed zip; broke ps (and kernel compiling)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rick Hawkins <rhawkins@iastate.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/14/1997 18:53:45
I managed to install an SBC kernel (#28), and it solved the zip
problems.  The illegal request erros, and crashes, are gone.  BUt i'ts
made some other things touchy.

ps and the liek don't work:

hawkins# ps
ps: proc size mismatch (5868 total, 648 chunks)
hawkins#

I've renamed the kernel netbsd, but htis persists.  The faq suggests
updating a library, but that brings me to the chicken & egg problem:

I need the zip to compile.  The zip needs to holdd files, and for these
to work i need updates that can't be done without the zip, . . .

I pruned the current kernel source on a bigger machine, and untarred
without a problem.  But I am having problems with config.  I untarred at
/usr/src

Hesitant to touch the shipped files, I copied GENERIC to RAPTOR.  But
there seem to be some relative file adresses:

hawkins# config RAPTOR
RAPTOR:5: cannot open arch/mac68k/conf/std.mac68k for reading: No such file or directory

RAPTOR:7: syntax error
RAPTOR:7: cannot proceed without machine specifier

I tried changing
 this line to the full pathname, but then I get

../../../conf/files:7: syntax error
*** Stop.
hawkins#

checking that file,

#       $NetBSD: files,v 1.121 1997/04/02 21:34:11 christos Exp $

#       @(#)files.newconf       7.5 (Berkeley) 5/10/93

# options understood by the machine-independent part of the kernel
# (note, these are case-sensitive)
defopt  KMEMSTATS

# generic attributes
define  disk
define  tape
define  ifnet
define  tty
define  audio
define  scsi { [channel = -1] }

is line 7 the KMEMSTATS (7th literal), the ifnet(7th non-comment), or
the scsi line (7th command)?

And at this point, i realized i was out of my league :)

The kernel howto also suggests recompiling config, as it varies from
version to version, but i'm not quite sure which pieces/how to do this.

rick