Subject: Re: kernel compiling troubles
To: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: Michel Chalufour <michelc@tiac.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/14/1997 19:35:38
Thanks Colin for your answer within minutes of my query! Stopped for supper
or I'd have tried your suggestion immediately, when I did as you suggested
the symptoms went away.

>> I've made several tries at compiling a kernel to run on my Centris 650
>> using the recent 4/7/97 snapshot of the system, kernel /usr/src/sys files
>> from about 4/9, and running with the Generic #28 (aka #29?) kernel. I

>> 	netstat: kvm_read: bad address
>>

>Try taking a look at the Errors section of the FAQ.  I believe that all
>three of the above are covered, and inevitably, all three are caused by
>your running kernel not being named /netbsd...

Well, I'm knocking the side of my head on this one--yes, I've read the FAQ,
parts of man, even read about naming the kernel netbsd...

>No, it sounds like your compile worked just fine...

So the hard part (for me) had worked all along, and the easy part tripped
me up.

>> Reading the port-mac68k mail and archives is a great education. The group's
>> sharing of  knowledge and their patience with beginners like me is just
>> great.
>
>Yes, it's pretty wonderful, isn't it!

Indeed it is!

>I hope this helps.

It did.

Where's a good general place to look for explanations of the kernel options?

Thanks,

Michel