Subject: kernel compiling troubles
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michel Chalufour <michelc@tiac.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/14/1997 18:09:32
I've made several tries at compiling a kernel to run on my Centris 650
using the recent 4/7/97 snapshot of the system, kernel /usr/src/sys files
from about 4/9, and running with the Generic #28 (aka #29?) kernel. I
compiled once with the GENERIC mac config file, following all the
instructions in the kernel compiling FAQ (maybe not the latest--ca. 11/96
FAQ), and also with a modified GENERIC config file, but each time the
resulting kernel will boot and run my system with at least the following
problems:

  - During the boot messages (after the Mac desktop has gone to white
screen), just after the line "checking for core dump..." I get:
	Savecore: can't find device 0/0
	April 13 22:32:21 centris savecore: can't find device 0/0
(diff. date each time, of course) then the boot continues normally to the
login messages.

  - After login if I try "dmesg" to review and/or print the message from
above I get:
	dmesg: magic number incorrect

  - If I do "netstat -nr" I get the start of display of routing tables
(just the headings - Destination, Gateway, Flags, etc) and the following
message which repeats until I hit control Z:
	netstat: kvm_read: bad address

I haven't tried to look for other problems with my kernel and being new at
this I don't know where to look that would be useful for more clues. Since
the Generic #28 works without any of above symptoms I suspect I've
overlooked something in the configuration for the compile or that I have
some corrupt file(s) in the sources--but wouldn't that be likely to cause
compiling errors and halt the compile?

My goal is to understand this process and then to customize a kernel for
this system and also one for an older Mac II with lots less RAM (the Mac II
has been running a slightly earlier snapshot of NetBSD with the Generic #26
just fine).

Any hints or suggestions of things to try, places to look greatly
appreciated. Any other clues, info needed, I can try to supply to track
this down.

Reading the port-mac68k mail and archives is a great education. The group's
sharing of  knowledge and their patience with beginners like me is just
great.

Thanks everyone,

Michel