Subject: Re: Minor annoyance
To: Albert Carter <SilverMoonTiger@wizzard.tiac.net>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/14/1997 14:30:18
Hi,

If you use the pre-compiled binaries in the Amiga archive, like I do, then
you have to get use to the way they are packaged.  There are a few
exceptions, but most of the archives as a tar file that installs into
/usr/local.  There is a install shar script which usually makes a symbolic
link to the executable in /usr/local/bin and puts the man pages in
/usr/local/man.  Here is the standard way to install on the these
packages:

cd /
tar zxvf /path/to/file/foo-bin.tar.gz
/usr/local/foo-bin/install/install.sh
rehash

Now you are ready to use the binary.  This assumes that you have
/usr/local/bin in your PATH.

When downloading the binaries from the Amiga archive, it is a good idea to
also grab the accompanying README.  It usually includes install
instructions and tells you what files will be installed where.

Mark

On Sun, 13 Apr 1997, Albert Carter wrote:

> Does it extract it in the same directory that has the tar'd file?  Because
> I can't find it anywhere.  I'll do a find on it tomorrow night.

Mark Andres             E-mail: mark@giganet.net
    Running NetBSD and 100% Microsoft Free!