Subject: Re: Getting files from MacOS to MacBSD partitions
To: Jeffrey E. Benedict <raoul@olympus.net>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/13/1997 22:22:49
> Hello-
>
> Well, I've given up and decided to humble myself before the MacBSD gods.....
>
> I need to get files onto my MacBSD partitions...  I only have the one box,
> so I can't set up a serial connection and move them that way...  What I
> want to do is to copy the ppp config. files onto my MacBSD partitions so I
> can use 'em... Once I've gotten ppp running, I can ftp, etc. to my hearts
> content.

The Installer should be perfectly capable of doing this for you.

> I've read everything and fumbled around with a few things.  I've
> concentrated on the Installer using the Mini-shell but tried about a dozen
> combos of mount points, disk IDs, directories, etc. and still haven't
> figured out how to copy the files.

How many partitions do you have?  Just the 1 root&usr or more than that?
Either way, it shouldn't really matter.  Do the following:

1) Put the files in question (i.e. the ppp config files) into the same
   folder as the Installer (so you don't have to worry about MacOS
   pathnames).
2) Start up the Installer, pick the proper drive for your root filesystem,
   and choose mini-shell from the File menu.
3) Once you get the prompt, type the following:

	cd etc
	mkdir ppp
	cd ppp
	cpin [MacOS filename] [unix file name]

   Repeat the last command as necessary (i.e. if you have more than one
   file.

4) type 'exit' at the prompt and quit the Installer.

That's it; you're done!  You should now have the files in your /etc/ppp
directory where they belong.

> So.... Could someone give me a little help?  thank you very much!

Let me know if that works.

Later.