Subject: Re: 2 questions
To: Jonathan Lyons <lelsoft1@mail1.nai.net>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/13/1997 14:11:20
>Ok...Now that I've gotten PPP up successfully, of course I have more
>questions ;-)
>
>1)Where can I find the Pine emailer???

as someone mentioned already, you can find the binaries on the macbsd ftp
site, or if they don't work, you can get the source code from
ftp.cac.washington.edu. i did the latter of the two, and the software
compiled nicely with no errors or anything.

>2)How do I make it so a user could just type irc(just an example) and ircii
>would launch???

easily.
get the IRC binaries from the macbsd.com site (if they are there) or get
the source code from ftp://ftp.undernet.org/pub/clients/unix/ .
since this is not a netbsd program (i.e. not made by netbsd), you might
want to make a /usr/local/bin/ directory, for all "foreign" programs. just
for organization, i guess.
if you use csh or tcsh for a shell (which you probably don't have unless
you installed them specifically), just move the binaries to /usr/local/bin/
and add "set path=(/usr/local/bin/ $path)" at the end of the global cshrc
file (/etc/csh.cshrc).
For bash and sh, consult other sources, or look around in your /etc
directory or root's homedirectory for how the "/bin", "/usr/sbin", "/sbin",
etc... are already added, and you can add /usr/local/bin/
In either case, you probably want to "chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/irc" as
root, to let other users on your system use the IRC program. this mode may
come default - i don't know for sure - it doesn't do any harm anyway.
As for making different names for the same program, you create and alias.
use "man ln" for more details. it's pretty much self-explanatory.
the latter was a question a general unix book could probably answer, you
might want to check one out of your local library if you have any similar
questions.
later,
  - a